Designed specifically for high school students on an ambitious STEM pathway, this is a unique seven-week opportunity to participate in hands-on engineering laboratory research focused on real-world problems at one of the top-ranked engineering schools in the nation. Close mentorship comes from USC Viterbi faculty and staff, graduate student researchers, plus visiting national scholars -- all enveloped within SHINE's cohort activities and network. See our research projects and culminating posters. Read about SHINE in the USC Viterbi News here.
" I’m excited to say that I will be attending USC as a Trustee scholar in the fall. It was a very tough decision as I had some amazing schools to chose from, but I ultimately chose USC due in large part to how much I enjoyed the SHINE experience last summer. "
---- Rajvir Dua, Diamond Bar High School
Hear what they said about SHINE
Students' Lab Time
Students end their research experience by presenting to USC faculty, family and friends. Watch last year's session here!
FRIENDSHIP & FUN
The fee covers:
- 1-1 mentoring in lab for 20 hours/week with a Ph.D. student mentor
- Training in university-level research skills such as searching for scholarly literature and writing lab research reports
- College prep activities
- Friday cohort lunches
- Projects with undergraduate mentors and USC Viterbi staff
- Lab safety training and lab materials
- Poster session (with your poster retained on the USC Website)
- Certificate from your research professor (Can be used as a recommendation)
Only a limited number of highly qualified applicants are accepted to SHINE each summer. This is a non-residential program, so students will commute rather than live on campus.
For students seeking an introduction to the range of college-level fields of engineering or a residential program, consider USC Viterbi School of Engineering’s 4-week summer school course - then, join us in SHINE next summer.
Read more details on the application process here.
Click here to get more details about how to pay the application fees and the program fees.