ROBOTICS OPEN HOUSE 2018
The most popular school field trip of the year is back!
Wednesday, April 11, 2018
9.00 AM - 2.00 PM: School Groups (sorry, these slots are full)
2.00 PM - 5.00 PM: Individuals, Families and Organizations (still available)
Registration required! Click here to register an afternoon spot for
Individuals, Families and Organizations.
This is a fun day with all the robotics research labs providing demonstrations every half hour for groups of 15 people, plus some hands-on fun and games. The labs are spread out in four buildings, so there is a lot to walk around and see. Visitors can move at their own pace to attend as many lab demonstrations as they want and take a break any time to explore campus, find something to eat (bring your own lunch or use a campus dining facility), and enjoy the day. The most crowded time is when the schools visit between 9 am - 2 pm, and the more leisurely afternoon pace is perfect for after school groups, clubs, families, and robotics industry executives.
What to expect @Robotics Open House 2018?
For last year's detailed itinerary, click here.
Here are some exciting labs you will get to visit during the Open House:
- Interaction Lab
- Robotic Embedded Systems Lab (RESL)
- Medical Device Development Facility
- Brain-Body Dynamics Lab
- Automatic Coordination of Teams (ACT) Lab
Information for School Groups
- Group size: Limited to 64, including teachers and adults (one adult is required for every 15 students). If you want to bring more students, please contact Dr. Katie Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Food: Students can bring lunch and eat on campus. In addition, USC has many cafes on campus where food can be purchased.
- Activities before and after event: Everyone is welcome to explore the campus, and the California Science Center is within walking distance if schools want to double up on field trips.
- Transportation and Parking: A map is shown below. Bus orders: Use 3462 McClintock Ave as the location. Download detailed instructions here.
For smaller groups, we recommend coming to campus via the Expo Metro Line (exit either University Park or Vermont Ave.).
Parking on campus is $12 per car and street meters are available but may be limited.
Resources for Teachers
Resources for Students
Have you ever wondered which kind of robot you are? Click here to take a quiz! Do not forget to visit your robot during the Open House!
Watch the video below of the Robotics and Coding Academy, an exciting initiative of USC!
The short film “When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth”, an AutFest International Film Festival 2017 selection, tells the story of a robot helping a child with autism to socialize. [News release]Premiered at the Robotics Open House in 2017– Based on the research of Prof. Maja Matarić, Vice Dean for Research at USC Viterbi.
2015: 10 Reasons To Love Robots at USC Viterbi (Viterbi News)
2014: Meet the 'bots (USC News)
2012: Robot Wonders of USC (NBC Los Angeles)
2010: Battle Bots (Trojan News)